Bixley and Arminghall are situated south of Norwich in the district of South Norfolk. Geographically we are rather spread out with parts of the parish bordering Lakenham, Trowse, Poringland, Caistor St Edmund, Kirby Bedon and the Framinghams.
Largely rural most of the housing is over 40 years old and some of it is substantially older ranging from small cottages to manor houses, with a mixture of privately owned, private rental and social housing.
There are two churches within the parish, St Mary’s Arminghall has regular services and a small regular congregation and St Wandregesilius Bixley St Wandregesilius’ was Bixley’s church, the only one in England dedicated to this Saint. It may stand on the site of a Saxon minster, and was a pilgrimage centre prior to the Reformation. It has a 14th century west tower, but most of the rest is a rebuild of 1868. This isolated church now looks quite forlorn, as it was gutted by fire in 2004. It stands disused and facing an uncertain future.
A Late Neolithic to Bronze Age henge or henge-like monument, known as Arminghall Henge, is visible as a cropmark on aerial photographs, has been subject to excavation and geophysical survey, and has been recorded as a slight earthwork on the ground. The site is one of the most important prehistoric discoveries in Norfolk. It was first seen from the air in 1929, and was excavated in 1935, when it was shown that the two concentric dark rings seen from aerial photographs were in fact ditches, the soil from these being piled up to form a bank between them. The central horseshoe pattern of dark patches represented sockets for huge wooden posts, probably whole mature tree trunks. The site has been dated by pottery and charcoal to four or five thousand years ago, and it may have been used intermittently for a considerable period of time from the Late Neolithic to Bronze Age. It has been classified as a henge, and presumably had a ceremonial function. It also became a focus for an extensive funerary landscape; numerous ring ditches/barrows and also flint working sites have been noted nearby